Here I will present my favourite Greek dictionaries (printed editions).
I absolutely love them and I do recommend them to everyone who studies or works with Greek language. Nowadays, anyone can find easily really good dictionaries and all kinds of glossaries on the internet and in most cases, they will be helpful enough. Nevertheless, translators, teachers and other language professionals love working with good old dictionaries and my favourite ones are these:
1. Babiniotis Dictionary – The Dictionary of Modern Greek, supervised by professor Babiniotis (Μπαμπινιώτης, Κέντρο Λεξικολογιας, «Λεξικό της Νέας Ελληνικής Γλώσσα») It is a general monolingual Greek dictionary which describes every word/entry and it also provides information on the etymology of most words and examples of their use. My opinion is that this is absolutely a must-have dictionary for anyone who deals with Greek language on a professional basis.
2. Papyros-Larousse Dictionary of Modern Greek (Εικονογραφημένο Εγκυκλοπαιδικο Λεξικό & Πλήρες Λεξικό της Νέας Ελληνικής Γλωσσας – ΠΑΠΥΡΟΣ Larousse – Το Παπυράκι). This is a Greek Dictionary and an encyclopedia. Apart from word definitions, it contains articles about history, geography, art, biology and many others. For example, you can find all countries’ national flags inside, as well as famous paintings, maps, diagrams and other images.
3. The next dictionary on my list is The English-Greek, Greek-English Dictionary of Trade, Banking and Financial Terminology, by Chrissovitsiotis and Stayrakopoulos (Λεξικό αγγλοελληνικό και ελληνοαγγλικό εμπορικών, τραπεζικών και χρηματο-οικονομικών όρων. Ι. Χρυσοβιτσιώτη, Ι. Σταυρακόπουλου). There are a couple of negative comments on the web, which criticise some of the entries in this dictionary, but in general, it is a valuable source for translators who specialise in the financial field.
4. If you like nice images and colourful pictures, you are going to love this one: The 6-lingual Visual Dictionary in Greek, English, German, French, Italian and Spanish («6γλωσσο Πλήρες Εικονογραφημένο Λεξικό» στα ελληνικά, αγγλικά, γερμανικά, γαλλικά, ιταλικά και ισπανικά, Εκδόσεις Καυκάς). It contains more than 30000 images and their meanings in all the above languages. It is a nice book to have even if you do not deal with translation. The pictures it contains are so fascinating that you can spend hours “reading” it.
5. And finally, if you are a linguist, there is a brief Dictionary of Linguistic Terms (Γλωσσολογικό Λεξικό, Γ.Χ. Σακελλαρίδης), where all linguistic terms are explained in Greek and there is also a small section at the end with English terms and their Greek equivalents.
These are by no means all good dictionaries of Modern Greek language. There are many other valuable works such as the dictionary of Manolis Triantaphyllidis Foundation, the dictionaries of Kriaras and many, many others. All of them deserve to be acknowledged, but this will make the list too long and probably boring.
I hope you liked the post and it proves useful to you in case you are looking for a nice Greek dictionary.